10 Ways to Raise a Grateful Child

This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may get compensated. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I personally enjoy. Click HERE for my disclosure policy.

this post may contain affiliate links. view our disclosure policy here

Raising a Grateful Kid in an Entitled World doesn’t have to be a shot in the dark. Have you ever wonder what are the best ways to raise a Grateful Child?

I have a little one that is always asking for things every time we go to the store. It may be for a toy, food or some snack that caught his attention as we walk the isles of the store.

He also showed a little dislike…ok ok…pitched a huge fit over the thought of not getting a present for his birthday from his father and I.

Now before I get hate mail, we throw the party and all the family and friends buy him plenty of gifts. We consider our gift to him is the party. He is only six years old and it’s a great time to teach him to be grateful for what he has and what he is given.

I also feel a little guilty as the parent that I let it get this far before making an intentional decision to make sure everyone in our family shows gratitude on a regular basis.

I sat down and made a list on how I could guide my little boy into being more grateful. I also did a little research and attached a bible verse to each point I needed to think about and hopefully recite to my family as we learn to be more grateful.

Raising Grateful Kid in an Entitled World

Raising Grateful Kid in an Entitled World

Ways to Raise a Grateful Child

#1 Lead by example. Are you an adult who is grateful and shows it? Titus 2:7

#2 Make sure “please” and “thank you” are a part of your family’s everyday vocabulary. Psalm 19:14

#3 Make time to give and volunteer with your kids on a regular basis. Explain to them why you do this, how it helps others and how we are to be thankful we can give and volunteer to help others. Acts 20:35

#4 Have everyone in the house be aware of making sure lights are turned off and water isn’t running when not being used. Teaching children to be aware of our resources, how much they are using and not to waste them will help them be aware of what they are using and save you a little on your utility bill. Win-Win! Colossians 3:23

#5 Ease up on buying your kid more stuff. Kids DO NOT need a toy every time they enter a store. If your child is always asking for something when you go to the store, remind them before you get out of the car that you are only getting what is needed on your list and that they have plenty of toys at home waiting for them. A trip to the store may be like a trip to the museum, you may look at the nice things but you may not touch! Matthew 6:19-21 & Luke 12:15

#6 Verbally express your blessings. Try to have a moment where each person says one thing they are thankful for that day. Being aware of what we are thankful for helps keep us grateful…even us adults. Psalm 103:2

#7 Teach the child to treat everyone with respect. No one is better than anyone else. We all are human beings. We all have our own struggles. God is not a respecter of persons and neither should we be. Romans 2:11

#8 Be positive and teach them to be positive. Always look for the good in every situation. Reminding our kids who is in control and to always look for that silver lining. Philippians 4:8

#9 Have them work for it. If they want a toy and it’s not a special occasion like their birthday or Christmas, perhaps have them work for it. This may help them understand that things are not free. It will also help them not take it for granted. Proverbs 14:23

#10 Don’t get frustrated. Your gentle reminders and examples will lead them in being more grateful little by little. Galatians 6:9

BONUS TIP

Pray. Pray. Pray. Seeking God as we raise the children He has blessed us with. Matthew 6:33

Do you have any to add to my list? I’d love to hear about it. Leave your suggestion in the comments below.

Blessed,

Related Post

Spread the love

37 Comments

1. Lacey Charrene

March 13, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Couldn't agree more! Great article and so true. This works too.

2. Meredith Elizabeth

March 13, 2015 at 1:55 pm

This topic is very sensitive to me and perhaps others. I agree fullheartedly that gratefulness is part of good manners and understanding that we need others. How do you know for sure your child is grateful?

I, for one, spent time, money and words on trying to prove it to my adoptive parents and they still threw things back at my face and said I was ungrateful. I pray that the gratefulness is God given and that parents can recognize it when it is there.

Thank you for talking about an important issue. =)

3. Starla J.

March 13, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I agree with you Meredith. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

4. shelah moss

March 13, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Gratitude is an important ideal to instill in our children. It helps me to remember to be grateful, too.

5. Lucy Auburn

March 13, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Great tips! I especially like # 8. when you focus on the positive instead of the negative, you always find something to be grateful for. I also make my munchkin go through toys that he no longer plays with to donate to the thrift store so that others can enjoy it.

6. ginabad

March 13, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I am very lucky that, through years of mistakes, I do have grateful children. Leading by example was one of the most helpful ones, for my kids. That said, we are still working on #5 (little issue for my hubby, mostly at Christmas) and #9 (they have learning disabilities and I'm a LOUSY teacher so I struggle with this one!) These are great tips ..thanks for sharing.

7. Dana S.

March 13, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I'm going to share this post about tomorrow for sure. Great tips. I love how your list includes modeling the behavior and stewardship.

8. cherigamble.com

March 13, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Love, love, love this! I pinned this to my parenting board and have it scheduled to go on my facebook page on Monday. Thanks for sharing!

9. Kaylene Outnumbered

March 13, 2015 at 9:37 pm

This is great. I love that you took the time to find some supporting Bible verses. Thanks for sharing!

10. Starla J.

March 13, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I so agree. It helps us adults to!

11. Starla J.

March 13, 2015 at 9:55 pm

There is always something to be thankful for. I so agree with you, Lucy.

12. Starla J.

March 13, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Sounds like you are doing better than I am. 🙂 Thank you for taking the time to comment.

13. Starla J.

March 13, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Thank you so much Dana!! I really appreciate you sharing my post. 🙂

14. Starla J.

March 13, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Aww! Thank you so much. You are awesome to share it!

15. Starla J.

March 13, 2015 at 9:58 pm

I'm all about some bible verses! 🙂

16. Sarah Ann

March 14, 2015 at 3:15 am

Great ideas! My son is getting to the age where he wants something when he wants it or else it's tantrum central. We are learning to dig in, pray hard, and to try to steer his heart toward the Lord any chance we get. Great verses!

17. Maria Hass

March 14, 2015 at 3:15 am

Your tips are pretty good! My husband and I remind the kids often that a lot of what they want are "wants" and not "needs", and that they need to be grateful God supplies all their needs! Some of their wants too! We look at other children in the world with one dirty shirt and a bowl of rice and (aside from giving), we remind the kids to be thankful that they are so abundantly blessed even without getting something at the store every time.

18. lokkesja

March 14, 2015 at 3:32 am

So far we're doing well with please and thank you. My two year old has had good manners since she started talking. It's such a huge witness to others and I'm glad that I took the time to instill that habit ????

19. Patrice Foster

March 15, 2015 at 12:35 pm

10 Ways to Raise a Grateful Child wonderful tips fill with good advice for parents # 6,7 & 8 reminds me to teach our children how to be thankful and learn to appreciate ones blessing. Thanks for sharing.

20. Zarina Quinn

March 16, 2015 at 10:00 pm

I especially like number 10. Rome wasn't built in a day.

21. Starla J.

March 20, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Thank you, Sarah, for stopping by! 🙂

22. Starla J.

March 20, 2015 at 8:52 pm

That's wonderful, Maria. It's always a work in progress. 🙂

23. Starla J.

March 20, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Thank you, Patrice, for stopping by!

24. Starla J.

March 20, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Always a work in progress! 🙂

25. strainme

March 21, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Great ideas! We started giving our girls an allowance when they do their chores. If they have the money for something, sure they can buy it! 🙂

26. Trena Quesenberry

March 21, 2015 at 9:16 pm

I'm struggling with this with our six year old as well, "Just one more toy, just one more, just one more," and then after he has that, "Just one more." I've tried telling him "just one more" is never going to be enough, he'll always want more, and to be grateful for what he does have.

27. Bonnie Lyn Smith

March 21, 2015 at 11:33 pm

This is a great list! I loved the reminder about guarding resources. Thank you for adding Scripture for each one! The overarching theme seems to be remembering the blessings and focusing on the positive, and these tips are great practical ways to help us each get there. Popping over from Christian Mommy Blogger. Blessings!

28. Deb Wolf

March 22, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Great tips Starla! I completely agree! Thanks so much for linking up at Counting My Blessings!

29. Rebekah

March 26, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Great tips! I particularly like #3 – finding time to give and volunteer together. We do that with our kids and it makes such a difference for us all. My favorite part of that is when they're trying to pack shoeboxes at Christmas and they try to fit as much as they in the box, as they realize that's all that those children will get for the holiday. Drives home the point for them…. Thanks for sharing with us at Grace & Truth!

30. Starla J.

March 26, 2015 at 8:14 pm

My son is the same. It's a work in progress! 🙂

31. Starla J.

March 26, 2015 at 8:15 pm

One of my favs to. Thank you, Rebekah.

32. How to Teach Your Kids Respect: 7 Tips for Raising a Respectful Child

October 18, 2017 at 6:24 am

[…] Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach | Howard Glasser, Jennifer Easley 10 Ways to Raise a Grateful Child | Starla Jimenez 20 Everyday Kids Kindness Acts | Confessions of a Mommyaholic Making Children Mind […]