Sister, I Need You.

This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may get compensated. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I personally enjoy. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click HERE for my disclosure policy.

I’m looking up bible verses on friendship, as I’m preparing for a Secret Sister reveal luncheon, I’ve been thinking on the importance of having closer friendships. I didn’t set out to write an article about friendship, but ….
We all have friendships. Whether from family or non family relationships. Weather they just happened or took years to create. The fact is we need these friendships. We need sisterhood in our lives.

Sometimes, we as women, get caught up in life. We neglect our friendships. We put them on the back burner of life. Maybe we even forget we need them. I mean, we are all busy with careers, ministry, being a wife, and/or mom. Our lives can get hectic and it’s easy to put friendships to the side.

We see each other Sunday at church. A brief dialogue of asking how each other is doing takes place. Probably having a little one pulling at your arm during the entire conversation requesting your time, some food or wanting to share how their Children Church class went.  Then you are out the door till next Sunday. I know. This is me. My business gets in the way to.

I am reminded that God’s Word encourages us to have great friendships.

Related: Books Every Christian Woman Should Read

Bible Verses on Friendship

James 5:16 “Confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.”

Proverbs 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.”

1 Corinthians 15:33 “Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”

Luke 6:31 “Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

Proverbs 13:20 “Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm.”

Related: Venting to Well Meaning Friends

The Importance of Christian Friends

We need Godly friendships with each other. So that we may be there for each other, build each other up, encourage each other and pray for each other.

We should be able to go to our sister in Christ, confess what we are going thru with no fear of condemnation but trust our friend to love us, pray for us and help us refocus our eyes off the hard times and back on Christ.

We don’t need someone to tell us what we want to hear, or what the world says is ok but what the Word of God says to be true.  We all need that friendship. We all need that close bond.

It’s a wonderful gift from God, not to be neglected. To have that sisterhood, where we can lean on each other, pray for each other, help each other stay focused on Christ.

There’s no need to carry this life’s burdens alone. Reach out. Be intentional about creating and nurturing friendships. Take time to nurture the friendships God has perfectly orchestrated in your life.

A little love and encouragement goes a long way. Send your friend a card, email or text message that says you are praying for her and add an encouraging bible verse. Make time in your schedule to have some fun and nurture the friendship with your sisters in Christ.

Blessings,

Starla Jimenez

If you’d like to receive updates from me via email please follow me by using one of the links in the side bar. Thank you!

The Importance of Christian Friends | Bible Verses on Friendship

Related Post

Spread the love

30 Comments

1. signingcharity

May 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I finally have a close friend at church…and she and her family are moving to Bangladesh to be medical missionaries. They are planning to leave in January and my heart is breaking. I cried myself to sleep last night.

2. Starla J.

May 2, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I know your pain. My best friend is away right now to. Let's hold each other up in prayer and seek God for His peace and joy. God will carry you and guide you as you seek Him.

3. Jhanis V.

May 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Amen! My best friend and I sometimes do not see each other for months and sometimes even years because she works in a different country but when we see each other, it's like a breath of fresh air. She is the one person who will not hesitate to tell me straight in the eye if she knows what I did was wrong and will not tolerate it at all. She scolds me more than my mother does! I thank God for real friendships!

4. Starla J.

May 2, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I have a couple of friends that are like that to. It's really great. I want to be told the truth and not misguided. I thank God for them!! 🙂

5. Amanda Criss

May 2, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I'm happy to find your blog, Starla! You are right about the need for Christian friends who sharpen and encourage us. I struggle to be intentional with friendships and not be consumed with my daily to-dos.. Thanks for the encouragement. <3

6. Candace Creates

May 3, 2014 at 3:19 am

I so agree with you about the need for us to make time for our sisters in Christ, Starla! We get so busy and our friendships seem to be the first thing sidelined! This is a great reminder :).

7. Meredith Elizabeth

May 3, 2014 at 11:33 am

This means a lot to me because I grew up as an only child. I recently restored a friendship with a gal so that has been a blessing. God worked in our lives during that separation to make us stronger people and better able to minister to each other. I don't get that in the church much though. I've tried. I do have female mentors so that is a plus. Praying for sisterhood!

8. Dawn Yucuis

May 4, 2014 at 2:43 am

We all need friends in our lives, it make our life easier and much more fun.

9. Karen Marie Kedzuch

May 4, 2014 at 11:19 am

Starla,
    An important fact to remember to care for the relationships we have in sisterhood.
    Nice post, Karen Marie
    Dragonfly & Lily Pads

10. Treat and Trick

May 4, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for stopping by and for your lovely comment!

11. April Ronnecke

May 4, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Hi Starla. Thanks for visiting my blog. I totally agree! I wish I had more friends I can count on, trust,and there for me regardless etc. I had to get rid of one friend that was draining me and she wasn't not healthy for my soul. I am looking for new friends though. You would think it would be easy but sadly it isn't,which is why I keep my circle of friends small.

12. Starla J.

May 6, 2014 at 3:43 am

You are so welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you.

13. Starla J.

May 6, 2014 at 3:44 am

You're welcome! Thank you for stopping by.

14. Starla J.

May 6, 2014 at 3:45 am

Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

15. Starla J.

May 6, 2014 at 3:48 am

Thank you for stopping by and commenting! God works all things out.

16. Starla J.

May 6, 2014 at 3:51 am

You're welcome! Thank you!!

17. Mary Burris

April 7, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Woman can be so brutal toward each other. That's why it's so important to treat each other kindly, even in difference of opinions. When people build each other up, instead of tearing down, we become stronger.

18. Mandee Pogue

April 7, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Though I have two sisters of my own, I find that the women in my life, my friends, are often times the ones I go to, confide in, and lean on. The bond between woman is so important. Great post!

19. Rene

April 7, 2015 at 2:24 pm

It's so hard in this busy world. I feel like I have tried to no avail to connect with people at church, and even outside of church. People just seem too busy ……….. so here I am on the internet trying to connect 🙂 Thanks for the post!!

20. Fairytales and Fitness

April 7, 2015 at 3:14 pm

This is so true. Unfortunately my own sister and my best gal friends all live far away. Time spent together is so precious!

21. Jennifer DeFrates

April 7, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Renee Swope's book A Confident Heart dealt with this topic. Her metaphor was 4 rose bushes growing too close together. Separating them allows each of them to bloom brighter and bring more blooms into a larger area. Sometimes, friendships are like that too. If we're doing God's work, sometimes He needs us to move for His plan. It can be hard, but there are people and relationships I would have missed if my friends hadn't relocated. His best for us is always best, trust that and wait to see how He will use this time!.

22. Amanda

April 7, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Love this post. It is so true. Friendship is very important and God wants us to have other believers surrounding us. Thanks for sharing!

23. Maria Hass

April 8, 2015 at 7:02 pm

So thankful for my sisters in Christ! I shared this post in the facebook group of my church's women's ministry. I think we forget how valuable we are to each other when we get busy. I loved this post.

24. Sarah Ann

April 9, 2015 at 1:35 am

Absolutely! I've been super busy and have neglected some wonderful friends lately. This makes me want to reach out and be the blessing they are to me. Thanks for the encouragement!

25. Laura

April 9, 2015 at 3:34 am

Your post reminds me of all the wonderful girlfriends I have in my life! Some of them I have had for 25 years (and I'm not yet 30). What a blessing these people are to me. You have inspired me to let my friends know how special they are to me more often.

26. Heather @ My Overflowing Cup

August 27, 2015 at 9:50 pm

I love this post, Starla! My family is experiencing a very difficult time right now. It is the love and support of family and friends (and the hope of Christ!) that is helping us deal with a tremendous amount of stress. Thanks for the reminder that we need to nurture our friendships. We never know when we will need to rely on our friends. Blessings.

27. Lynn

January 7, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I so desperately want friendships but no one in my life seems to care. I'm having to learn how to be alone. I don't like it, but it's not my choice.